There is something funny and cool about this whole internet thing that I love. I’m not sure if I love it because I’m an introvert and hate socializing, or because I’m lazy about relationships. My money is on a little bit of both. So many of us bloggers put our little word babies out there into the great world wide web hoping that someone somewhere may read them and like them enough to click a link, leave a comment, or just tap that little star down at the bottom saying they liked what was going on. Some of us (Who? Me?) live and die by those little clicks as if our very self-esteem is tethered to them. Recently, a lady named Mandelynn stumbled upon my word babies enough to subscribe and, by golly, left an award in her wake.
She left me the Liebster Award. What is that? Damned if I know. I ran over to her blog to check out the awesomeness, because the internet is nothing if not stalker heaven. She is actually a bit of an accomplished writer. Truly. Click on her name up in that top paragraph and go see for yourself. It is socially sanctioned stalking so don’t feel dirty.
I’ll wait for you to return.
*sound of off-key humming*
Done? Okay, here are the rules, which I plan on promptly breaking because, well, I’m weird that way.
- Acknowledge and thank the blog who nominated you….CHECK
- Look for an award image that you like, and post it on your blog…..CHECK (Thanks, Mandelynn!)
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person/blog who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 blogs
- Let the bloggers know that you nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
I like awards like this. I know they are silly and most bloggers think they are stupid, but I find them interesting. They are a great way for your readers to get to know a little bit about you. They can find out all sorts of unimportant stuff and file it away for if they ever meet you, or if you happen to be a Jeopardy question someday. You never know.
Here’s the 11 questions she left me:
1. Favorite comedian: I had no idea the questions would be this hard. Picking a favorite comedian is like picking a favorite child. I had to narrow my list to people who haven’t been in lots of movies because those folks I consider actors instead of comedians. After much thought my favorite 2 are Denis Leary (click the link to hear some of his stuff, but be warned: LOADS OF BAD WORDS, so no work viewing or kids running around) and Jim Breuer (click this link if you’re a parent. YOU WILL LOVE IT. Safe for work and kids). My Sweet Babboo and I went to see both these comics when they were in Cleveland and laughed ourselves into comas.
2. Mimosas: morning or all day: Here’s where the rule following gets hinky for me. I am a teatotaller. I have no personal beef with alcohol except that the taste of it makes me want to throw up. Once in a purple moon I will imbibe. I will throw a splash of DisAronno in my Dr. Pepper or a pina colada. And by splash, I mean less than half a shot glass or it’s too much for me. In eighteen years of marriage I’ve managed to kill exactly one bottle of DisAronno. Such a lush, pbbt. And I’m always the person at Christmas who picks up the cookies or candy made with liquor regardless of how much I try not to. So, I say Mimosas? Nevah, dahling. Nevah.
3. Blog to live or live to blog? Um, here’s where I’m pathetic. I used to have another blog. I loved it but felt it stifled what I really wanted to accomplish which was publishing. I have since seen that I have to blog or write in one way or another. It’s the way I’m wired. So I freelance on the side and blog when the mood strikes me. Sometimes that’s daily. Sometimes that’s monthly. Regardless, blogging is a necessary evil for me.
4. Describe myself in 6 words.
Mother, Wife, Pet owner, Bookworm, Writer, and Nerd. I embrace the nerd part most especially.
5. What do you blog about? Everything. Every damn thing. Much of what I share here and on other parenting sites has to do with being the mother of two boys. Sometimes I share what’s going on in my writing life. Mostly, it’s whatever strikes my fancy. Most of what I write is funny or poignant. The super serious stuff I write about is for my eyes only. The world needs more funny and less drama, don’t you think?
6. How many times have you seen Pitch Perfect? Oh, Mandelynn. Your poor, poor soul. You have stumbled across the one person in the universe who has never seen this movie and has no plans to see it. My tastes in movies run more towards the horror and superhero genres. There’s a reason God gave me only sons. I rarely watch anything remotely girly. Now if Robert Downey Jr. or Batman were in Pitch Perfect, I promise that I’d have seen that numerous times.
7. My favorite pie: Anything but rhubarb or lemon. I can’t stand those. And here’s another wacky fact about me. I hate pie crust. I will almost always eat the center and leave the crust. My sister-in-law thinks that’s sacrilegious. I think it’s like eating a sandwich without the crust. Tomato, tomahto.
8. When I grow up I want to be…. Half as funny as Tina Fey, half as rich as Donald Trump and twice as reclusive as Thomas Harris. Does anyone even know what that dude looks like?
9. My worst job: Working as a writer for a company who paid me $2 per post for internet content. They required original content with deadlines that asked for break-neck speed. I was good at it. After 60 hours of work I earned about $40. I worked there one month and didn’t break $200. Somebody was getting fat off my work and it wasn’t me.
10. If I could pick my last words what would they be? Take care of my three guys and love them as much as I did.
11. Princess Bride: best movie ever or best movie of the century? Um, you’re gonna hate me for saying this. Princess Bride is not even in my top ten faves. If I had to go to a deserted island and could only watch one movie over and over again it would have to be something with Robin Williams in it. He’s my guy. Always will be.
So, there you have it. My 11 answers. I hope they didn’t bore you too much. I pose this challenge to every blogger that stops by to read. Answer these 11 that I’ve completed or make up your own. Break the rules. Fly by the seat of your pants. Participate. Or, if you’re a real rebel, don’t, but say you did.
Everyone answer one thing for me, though: School’s almost over for the summer. What are you going to do to make sure you survive your munchkins being home 24/7? Seriously. I need ideas.